Thursday, August 28, 2014

Target Audience

I am sure when you read the title you are thinking that this post will be about crazy shenanigans in our beloved store, Target, but this my dear mom friend is a different kind of story.  A different kind of target.  This post is about advertising and their incredible ability to reach their intended audience with pinpoint accuracy (which, I will give you a hint, is not us)!

Mom, you NEED that!

A phrase that has come out of my six year olds mouth more times lately than I would like to admit. 
 
Yes, I need that shampoo for dry, damaged hair. 
 
Yes, I probably do need that face wash for dark spots on my skin. 
 
Yes, I need that lotion that will make me look like the tiny and tan half naked lady you see on TV. 
 
Yes, Michael.  Mom probably needs all of that.  Thank you for pointing it out to me.
 
Companies today are doing an excellent job with their advertising because they have somehow  convinced my son that miracle shampoos, face washes, and lotions really do exist.  That I will magically transform from this sleep deprived, stretch mark ridden mom into a beautiful butterfly that has time to rub lotion on her freshly tanned skin for ten minutes... while smiling.  But I don't.  I am lucky to have two minutes to myself to put makeup on without Jake wanting to play in it. And tanning, yea... no... there's none of that happening. 
 
 The closest thing I get is waiting for sweater season so I don't chance burning my white-as-snow child while we lay in the grass watching for birds while the sun hits our face. 
 











Wrestling... per usual. Boys will be boys!
All five minutes of it is glorious until they realize they actually want to do something because they are boys and lying down is for bed time!
 
















However, my favorite advertising win so far happened a few months ago.  And ironically it was one of the few times that it wasn't directed at me!  I was watching my oldest play, getting frustrated as he sometimes does not being able to solve all the problems in the world, and out of no where he says "Like a good neighbor State Farm is there".  And then he waited.  Seriously.  He waited and looked around and upon seeing that in fact no one appeared to help him, began to throw a tantrum.  I know I should have talked to him about his attitude in that moment but I was laughing too hard to talk.
 
So I did what I thought was best, I told him that it was pretend- like Santa Claus. 
 
And that's when I ruined his childhood.
 
 

I guess that is what it is like to have faith as a child, like the bible talks about.  To hear something and without any doubts or reservations claim it as reality... our very own reality.  To read of peace that surpasses understanding and have it.  Or joy that comes in the morning after a night of mourning.  Or our strength being renewed if we wait on the Lord.  Or any other promise He gives us in His word.  He said it so it is true.  And not only is it true, but it is true for me!  Oh that I can have just a fraction of that kind of trust in our great God.  I hope that my life can be a great advertisement that convinces people of His goodness and His faithfulness.  So when people see Christ in me, they will be compelled to say "I need that".
 


Children... the best at pointing out our baggy eyes and teaching us about faith... FOR THE LOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment